Thursday 15 May 2008

Book Review !

“The Perks of Being a Wallflower” is an epistolary novel written in the 1990s by the novelist Stephen Chbosky. He was born in 1970 and grew up in Pittsburgh. Chobsky studied to be a screenwriter at the University of Southern California. Today he lives in New York City, and “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” is his only novel.

The story takes place in a country of Pittsburgh in 1991. The leading actor is a boy named Charlie who tells us in many letters how it’s like to grow up in high school. He’s confronted with many conflicts, like the first trip on LSD or the first date with a girl. In high school he got friends like Sam, Patrick and Mary Elizabeth. With this people starts a new episode for him. But nevertheless plays “being an outsider” always a central role. He’s not actually involved in things, but he recognizes a lot. For instance, things that people want to hide or feel ashamed about it. But on the contrary he doesn’t know that he also takes a problem around.

All in all I like this book very much, because many emotions are mixed together. Sometimes it’s very sad, but later on, it turns into very funny. While I was reading, I sometimes compared my personality with Charlie’s. So I could understand what he really feels. First I thought it’s a kind of boring book, but later on, it turns into a very interesting story. Everytime I wanted to know how it ends. Honestly, it’s one of the best books I’ve ever read. It’s a pity that Chobsky wrote only this book.


W o r d s : 2 9 1

No comments: